Saturday, July 21, 2012

Primary 1 Registration

I thank God that the whole process of Primary 1 (P1) registration is over and I am relieved. Actually in Singapore, this issue of P1 registration is a BIG issue for parents. The reason is that the learning environment in Singapore is rather competitive and most parents would want to enrol their children in a good school so that they could have a good start in their academic life. This is the only decision they could influence for their kids as the choice of secondary school would depend on how well their children perform for the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE).

Most parents have already started planning which school to enrol their child into at the age of 4, even though the kid only starts attending P1 when he/she is 7 years old. The reason is that if the parent wants to do volunteer work or join the alumni association at the desired school, they would have to do so one year before the P1 registration starts (when the kid is about 6 years old).

Well, to tell the truth, I am one of those super 'bo-chap' or relaxed parents. I wanted to enrol Joshua in a school nearer to my mum's place but when I called the school, I realised that there was no affliation to the school and I was too late for volunteer work. That would mean that the chances would be slim if I had to ballot for a place in the school. In any case, I was determined not do volunteer work because even that could not guarantee a place in the school and I really do not want to be in toilsome labor. I believe the process should be effortless and I should rest in the Lord.

Well, I thank God that He has already provided for Joshua's primary school education. Perhaps I was relaxed because I knew I could always fall back on my alma mater, which is a very good school that many parents would love to enrol their children into. The only reservation I had was that it was further away from our home and the school bus ride could be 45 min to 1 hour. I would much prefer a school that is closer so that Joshua would not be tired from the long travelling. I have a mission school in mind that is nearer to my home but there is no guarantee that Joshua would have a place because we have no affliation to the school.

I told God that my hubby has to agree with my choice of the mission school if we were to proceed but he was not comfortable. He said he preferred not to take the risk...if Joshua could not get into that mission school, then we would be in a frenzy to look for other primary schools. He preferred to enrol Joshua into my alma mater, which is a very good school and admission into the school is almost guaranteed. I prayed and asked God for a smooth, blessed and stress-free P1 registration because I know many parents are stressed over this process, especially when they had to go for balloting in their school of choice.

I thank God that the P1 registration is indeed smooth, blessed and effortless. Thank God that Joshua was given a place in my old school! I really cannot take this for granted because many parents would love to be in my position. Now the next step is to prepare Joshua for this new season in his life. It would be a transition for him but I trust that God will make it a smooth transition for him. I am sure that Joshua would love his school and love to study and learn. Through this process, I have learnt to trust God for Joshua's future. Oftentimes it is so easy to be caught up with the rat race but I have to remember that my role is not to educate him but really to bring him up in the ways of the Lord!  That would be the best legacy I can leave for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment