Friday, June 7, 2013

Open door to part-time work


Indeed it is true that what God opens, no man can shut. There were two doors that God opened for my part-time work since Apr 2013. I had been waiting on The Lord to confirm which is the right one. One was in the new company that Heng is working now and the other was in church office. It was actually a breakthrough because for the past two years I had periodically asked God for open doors to work part-time but no open doors. But somehow from this year, I had this desire to work part-time again. However, when I applied for part-time admin work in an educational institution early this year, I received a word during Sunday service and I knew it was a closed door. What I was not sure was whether God has closed the door to part-time work completely or that it was not my time yet. Or that was not the right place. 

It was interesting that this desire to work part-time came up again this year but when I thought about it, there was no heartache or pain associated with the thought. In the past, working part-time was like a compromise, like a stop-gap measure to feeling bored at home. It reminded me of the pain of waiting for my second baby, that because this promise had not manifested soon enough, so that was why I had to start looking for some work again. But this time round, when the desire to work part-time came, it was purely out of a desire in my heart. It had nothing to do with being bored at home. In fact, I was enjoying my free time at home with The Lord.

It is true that God works through our desires in the new covenant. God has made it so easy for us in the new covenant to be directed by His wisdom and love. We no longer have to run to prophets to find out His will for us. He Himself leads us with His prompting. In early Apr, when I was offered the part-time job to work in the new company that Heng is working, I was happy but I did not feel that was the right place. My heart's desire was to work in the church office. I waited for this open door till early May and I still did not see anything happening so I concluded maybe it was not time for me to work in church yet. Since there was no sign of an open door in that area, I thought God had closed the door to my part-time work.

I told God it was ok. Even if I did not work, it was ok. After all I was busy in end May and for June school holidays, I would have to take care of Joshua. Well, I felt there was no hurry to get to work now. I could wait for His timing. But the fact was: God did not close these two doors. He left them open. It was just a matter of time before I walked through the open door. What God opens, no man can shut. If it was His will for me to work in church, I did not have to use my self efforts or force open a door. I know that if God did not open that door, it would be useless to try to make it open. I was so dependent on Him for the open doors. Anyway, I thank God that I was not desperate to work part-time. I can rest at home anyway.

God is so good. He heard my prayers and He answered them. One day in mid May I felt impressed to send a message to my Pastor to tell him I prayed for him and the pastoral team.  My Pastor really appreciated my prayers and he said he was thinking about me the other day. He wanted to talk to me about helping out with care group matters in church office. Wow! I was so happy when I saw this. It was God's hand at work. God must be the One who impressed upon Pastor's mind about me. I am so grateful to Him for always opening the door for me. Be it the care group leader appointment or the desire to serve at the Star, or this desire to work in church office, it has always been The Lord who did all the work. I never had to force my way through an open door or try too hard. I really feel so loved when I see this open door and so honored that Pastor would be even thinking of asking me to help.

Yes, open doors in life meant opportunity, progress and promotion but at the same time, you would have questions about the changes. It was exciting to walk through an open door yet you wonder about what was ahead. Things that were unknown made us jittery. Most of these doubts were silly. Imagine you have been waiting all these years for things to change, for things to move in your life yet when it came, you get the jitters. But during this time these doubts appeared large and threatening. At this time if you start believing the doubts you will not enjoy the blessing of the open door. For destroying these doubts you will have to boldly say out loud that what God has opened for you no one can shut. You have to believe it with all your heart. Yes, shout it out loud that what God has opened no one can shut. 

That was how I felt earlier on. I felt that a door has closed behind me, although I did not know how. I felt like the old season was passing and a new beginning was on the horizon. I sensed that changes started occurring since Apr, yet I did not know what exactly were these changes and the magnitude of the adjustments I had to make. I also know that more changes were on the way yet I did not know when they would happen. I sensed an open door to part-time work is opening since Apr but I did not know what it was. I thought it was the offer to work in Heng's company. But it was not. Then in early May, when the call for recruitment for volunteers to work in church office came, my spirit leapt. I thought this was it. But when the church did not call for a while, I started to doubt if I sensed correctly. And I wondered if I was suitable to work in church office. 

Earlier before God's plan was revealed to me, I was feeling jittery with the thoughts of all these imminent changes in my life, Heng's job, growth in care group numbers, part-time work etc. My doubts were whether I could handle all these changes for I already felt stretched managing the increased care group size. But God was so good. He reassured me again and again that it was He who opened those doors and He would surely bring me to cross over to the new season. He who started a good work in me would bring it to completion. Jesus is the author and finisher of my faith. I would surely make it to the finish line. Indeed these doubts were silly. I wondered if I heard correctly from The Lord about the open doors and whether which was the right door for me. But His word was confirmed by the events that happened after He spoke. It was true that I sensed correctly and when I knew that it is His will, He is the One who opened the door, then I am confident that He will empower me to walk through that door. 



No comments:

Post a Comment