Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Worship Anointing

In mid-Aug, my aunt gave Joshua the keyboard that her daughter had been using. They have now bought a piano for her so she had no need for the keyboard anymore. We are intending to send Joshua for piano lessons so that he can learn how to play music since now there is a keyboard at home and neither Heng nor I know how to use it. Thank God that Joshua has also indicated his interest in learning piano! We don't want to force him to learn music if he doesn't want to.

Anyway, when we brought the keyboard home, I was fiddling with it, trying to make some 'joyful noise' out of it. However, I am a total music nuts. You won't believe that I was in the school band for 4 years and I played the trumpet without knowing how to sight read. Amazing right? By the grace of God I got by those years but I totally hated music after that. I joined the band because my gang of friends all joined the band in Secondary One and I did not want to be left out.

I remembered not paying attention during music theory lessons and now I regret it. As Heng passed me the worship music scores, those notes were staring at me, maybe they know me but I certainly don't know them! But I remembered years ago in my old church, there was a worship musician who was very good in playing the piano. She could play the melody of any worship songs just by listening to it. Wow! I was secretly asking the Lord if I could have that anointing to play music. I did not think it was possible then...how could a music illiterate person like me play like that!

Well, as I fiddled with the keyboard, God reminded me of this prayer. Hence I asked the Lord again for His worship anointing. I know that with God, all things are possible. The amazing thing happened! I started to recognise the sound of each note and was able to play a simple tune like 'Jesus loves me'. Then I tried to sight read and play the worship songs. Even though I still did not know which note is A, B or C, I found out that it did not matter so long as I could recognise the sound that note made on the keyboard.

And so, playing the music with the music scores became instintive to me. I started to 'feel' the keys on the keyboard and learnt to play accordingly. After a while I did not even have to look at keyboard while playing. I just focused on the music scores. I really cannot describe my joy when I found that I could play the melody of songs like 'Here', 'I See Grace' and 'I Sing Hosanna'. (These are all songs by New Creation Church). Not only that, I realised I could roughly play the tune of 'How Great is Our God' without looking at the music scores.  God really did the impossible! I know I have just begun in the world of worship but God said 'Don't despise the day of small beginnings!'

Music is such a powerful vessel to reach people. It really can touch the hearts of people without them realising it. When I worship, I cannot be distracted by worldly things. I am totally wrapped up in the presence of Jesus. It is so consuming that even after I stopped playing, the songs lingered in my head. And I find that as I worship, I made myself very happy in the Lord. The Lord has brought me to a whole new level of fellowshiping with Him and I look forward to times of greater intimacy with my Jesus through worship. God is really so good to me...He is faithful, He remembers prayers that even I have forgotten! To God be the glory!

2 comments:

  1. I came here because I was looking for enoucouragement if I can Play Keyboard with the anointing of God because this is what I asked God yesterday, and here you are showing me that is possible. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really thank God for confirming His word for you! All things are possible with God. Ask and you shall receive the worship anointing!

    ReplyDelete