Sunday, November 25, 2012

What is my true joy?


Recently I read a devotional 'Rejoicing in real things' that really caused me to think. What are the things that I rejoice in? What are the things in life that really make me happy? Don't think for a moment that these questions are not important, because the Lord is very interested in our well-being. 3 John 1:2 says 'Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, even as your soul prospers.' God wants our soul to prosper and the way our soul prospers is when we are joyful. 

The devotional talked about how people are naturally happy when they get a promotion, a new house, a car or even a baby. These are things in the natural to rejoice in but we should learn the things of spiritual maturity and train ourselves in things that really matter. Things that are seen are temporary but things that are unseen are permanent, things like a new job, pay raise, a new house and new additions to the family are very good things that the Lord blessed us with and He expects us to be grateful for them. Yet these are not the things that our Father expects us to place our job primarily. 

The manifestation of fruits in our lives like material blessings, even promotions in ministry are good but they are the parts that can be seen. I am not saying that these manifestations are not important, they are important because they bring glory to God. What I am saying is that the unseen or spiritual side is more important and should be the target of our lives. Romans 14:17 says 'The kingdom of God is not a matter of food and drink but instead it is righteousness, peace and joy in the Spirit.'

The will of God is that we rejoice when we have challenges that test our faith. Faith is developed when it is tested and our faith is real. It is the gold of our spirit. It is important because it is our faith that overcomes the world (1 John 5:4). Jesus said 'Blessed are you when men persecute you for My name's sake.' When we look at the things apostle Paul used to rejoice in among the churches, we find that his joy and gratitude to God was always about their increase in faith, increase in knowledge of Christ, love for one another, endurance in the midst of trials and such qualities unseen. They are the invisible things but things that are pure gold. 

I am sure the people in church were doing well in business, getting married, buying houses, having children but Paul seemed to have overlooked to mention these things as the source of his joyful thanksgiving. The reason was that he knew how to rejoice in things that truly mattered. He knew that once they grow in their faith, grow in the knowledge of Christ, grow in the love of Abba Father, then all these material or outward things will follow. Blessings will chase them down the street as they chase after Jesus. 

Thes outward things are not the things God is doing in you. They are just the manifestations of His love and care for you. The real thing He is doing in your life is that He is developing a character in you until Christ is formed in you. God is always interested in our character development, our heart and our faith. Because He knows unless your heart changes, there can be no real enduring transformation of your life. Yes, in His mercy, He may intervene to deliver you out of a situation and you are so grateful to Him...but if that issue has not been totally overcome, it will show up when you hit the next roadblock. Then you ask Him why does such things happen?

Many people think that once their current pressing need is fulfilled, then they can be truly happy. They think the source of their problem is their unmet need. But after God met their need, another need will arise. There would be no end to it. The problem is we never really ask God what is our real need in life. Similarly, what is our real joy in life? I have come to learn that my real need in life is to know Christ more, have a intimate fellowship with my Abba Father and to experience His great love for me. Similarly, my main joy is that Christ be formed in me. Our strength is directed at the things that give us joy. 

So if the joy of the Lord is my strength, then my joy would not be dependent on my outward circumstances or whether the manifestations to my desires are here. Do you know what is the joy of the Lord? It is you! You make Him happy, looking at you, thinking of you makes Him joyful. I came to a point where the Lord taught me to see to value things that are unseen more than material blessings. Things like friendships, love, family and my faith which money cannot buy. I used to think that Paul was crazy. Why would anyone be rejoicing when all kinds of trials come into their lives? How can anyone still find such great joy in the midst of challenges? 

I now understand what Paul meant. Not that we wish for persecutions or challenges to come to our lives but we are able to maintain a correct perspective towards these uncomfortable things in our lives. I learnt that when I see my faith muscles being strengthened and my character built up in Christ, then I can greatly rejoice because these are things that are of great value and are eternal. I can rejoice because I have grown stronger, more resilient and stable. Through Christ, I am able to conquer all the challenges in life. Where things used to bother me so much and cause me much heartache, now I have become more and more oblivious to them. This is truly a watershed lesson for my life. From now on, nothing will ever be the same again. Praise Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment