Friday, September 23, 2011

Happy mother at home

Psalm 113:9 says 'God settles the barren woman at home, like a joyful mother of children.' This verse was given to me in 2004, even before I had a baby. It was a desire that God put in my heart back then, while waiting for my baby. In all my growing up years, I never saw myself as being so maternal or homely. I still remembered laughing at my Christian hostel mate when she told me that her desire was to be a stay home mum. I mocked at her, saying 'Then why are you here in university? Don't you think that it is such a waste of your education?'. She replied 'Of course it's not a waste. Our education could be used to teach our children.'

Now on hindsight, I realised she was truly the wise one. Because God put that desire in her heart. She had chosen rightly even at such a young age. You know, most of us at that time as young adults would put riches and honour above anything. All we wanted was to have a very good career, make our mark, earn lots of money and be recognised by our bosses and peers. This was the path I had chosen in the years after graduation. And I still remembered telling myself I did not wish to get married early and I certainly did not want to have kids soon after marriage.

On the contrary, I actually got married quite early at 26 years old (thank God I found the right guy pretty soon!). For the first few years of marriage, I was so afraid of falling pregnant accidentally for I would not be prepared for motherhood. It was so bad that my hubby had to ask our cell members to pray that God would give me the desire to have kids. God did give me the desire but when it took longer than I expected to conceive, I was disappointed. I then regretted why I didn't plan for kids straight after marriage. But God had His own timing and I must say He was merciful. I really did not wait too long. I gave birth to Joshua when I was 31 years old.

I was glad that I took no-pay leave to take care of Joshua for about a year. But when I went back to work, this desire to stay home kept recurring. Because it was planted by God, the desire refused to go away even after years had passed. Though those years of waiting for this desire to be fulfilled were not easy, God is faithful and He eventually brought this promise to pass. By His grace, I left my full-time job in Jan 2011 and officially started my stay-home days since then. It has been more than 7 months now and I thank God I am still enjoying it.

Today I was just thinking about how amazing God answered my heart's desire to stay home. Many working mothers are still struggling to make this decision to stay home while some do not have their husband's support. To them, having children might be easy but being able to take care of their children full-time might be difficult. On the other hand, the decision to stay home could come easily but some mothers might not be happy taking care of their kids. I am sure these mothers could be thinking what they have chosen to give up (a high-flying career, self-worth, more money etc). I really salute these mothers for making this choice because I am sure that their children are all worth it.

God has truly done a marvellous thing for me because not only could I stay home in peace, knowing that He provides for our finances, He also makes me a happy mother at home. God is the joy of my life. And that joy overflows to taking care of Joshua. Hence I would not even call it a sacrifice because this had been my heart's desire! God causes me to have no regret whatsoever in choosing this path because I know it is only for a season. One day, when the time comes, He will call me to serve Him in full-time ministry. But until then, I will continue to enjoy my stay-home days as a happy mother of children. To God be the glory!

Similar posts: http://avinlee.blogspot.com/2010/10/of-dreams-and-hearts-desires-part-i.html

1 comment:

  1. Great post, this is exactly what I was looking for. This reminded me of a site I came across which is a perfect for finding .Thanks for sharing this blog...

    ReplyDelete