Thursday, October 16, 2014

Relationship with God

The other day I was listening to Pastor Prince's sermon and noticed this interesting point. He said that God always like to speak to us in terms of relationship. It's like when you first seek The Lord and ask Him questions like why haven't I received my breakthrough or why am I still single, He will not answer you directly. Instead, He will tell you how much He loves you and how precious you are in His sight. That may be an irrelevant answer to your question but in fact, that is the key to your breakthrough. The answer lies in knowing how much God loves you. The more you are conscious of His love, the more good things start happening to you.

I remember crying out to God in 2010 asking when will I receive the breakthrough to my promise. God didn't answer me directly. In fact, He kept saying that this promise is already given and it will surely come. What He directed my focus to was His love for me. He spoke about how He felt towards me and who I am to Him. It was a personalized love letter to me. That was actually the first time I was able to hear Him speak at length and I recorded everything I heard. After I had a fresh encounter of His love, the matter at hand suddenly paled in comparison. It was like nothing else really mattered so long as I had His love. That's really basking in His love and being pampered by Him.

Later on as I grew in my relationship with God, I noticed that I don't just go to Him with my prayer requests anymore. And I found that there's no need for me to keep talking. Sometimes I stay still to listen to His still small voice, other times I just bask in His presence, enjoying His company. I noticed that when I wasn't seeking Him for any answer, just enjoying His presence and resting in His love for me, God will speak. He will come and tell me His plans for me and give me specific instructions on my next step. I find Him leading me like a shepherd does His sheep. It's amazing how far this relationship has gone. He just have to gently nudge me or give me some hints and I get it. I instinctively know what He wants from me. John 10:27 says 'My sheep listen to My voice and follow Me.'

I don't doubt if I hear Him correctly and I don't keep going back to ask Him to confirm. If I was unclear, I would wait upon Him for confirmation before I proceed. Then when I experience the peace within, I will know it's His voice. Most times I realized that when I was so desperately seeking an answer, He didn't answer me directly. But some time later He will reveal the answer I had asked. Many times I would have already forgotten about my question as I got lost in His love and then He will bring me to remembrance.

Pastor said people who are conscious of His love will shine with His glory. They are so comfortable to be with. They are so secure that you don't have to worry what you say will bruise their ego or hurt them. In fact, they don't care about what men think of them. And others are attracted to them. I really hoped to be like one who is radiating with the love of my Abba God. The world can see that there's something different about you. The starting point to receiving your breakthrough is really in receiving His love for you. That's when you can be transformed from glory to glory in Christ's image. When you are so full of His love, you can be over comers in this world.

Recently I was thinking about how my relationship with God has changed so much. I have grown so much closer to Him. I have been able to hear His voice much more clearly than before. I also noticed that He speaks plainly to me nowadays. When I asked Him questions, He answered quite promptly, in a matter of days or weeks. Sometimes almost immediately like a conversation I have with any human beings. Not only that I also noticed that I don't really misinterpret Him like I do before. When I read the past journals, I realized it was me talking most of the time and me interpreting what God is telling me. Sometimes I think He is saying this but He is not. It was after some time that I understood what He was talking about.

Nowadays I feel so conscious of God talking to me. It can be anytime, anywhere. When such thoughts come, I try to jot it down. I have learnt to distinguish if that was my thought or His. And nowadays my thoughts are more organized and less scattered, not all over the place. Thank God I have learnt to train my thoughts and subject them to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5). When alien thoughts try to invade my mind, I will be able to recognize them through the emotions I feel. My emotions are my radar, if I don't feel good, then there could be some wrong thoughts or wrong believing somewhere. Of course it's not like that all the time but most times, my emotions are a good signal.

Dear Beloved, know that the battlefield is in your mind. 2 Corinthians 10:4 says that the weapons we fight with are not of this world. They have divine power to demolish strongholds. I find that dwelling on the love of Christ will help us focus our thoughts on Him. Perfect love drives out all fear. The other thing is to dwell on the good things, whatever is noble, lovely, praiseworthy, of good report. Be on the watch out for toxic thoughts which cause you to feel confused, accused, guilty, worried etc. when those thoughts come, you can choose to switch channels in your mind. Take captive those thoughts and submit them to the obedience of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment