Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Meaning of Chinese Characters

Last Sunday, Pastor Mark preached on the meaning of Chinese characters and how they had their origins from God. For example, 義 (righteousness) happens when I put the Lamb (羊) before me (我) or when Christ is in me. Another character 造 (creation) is formed by speaking (告) and moving. When we speak, things move and things get created. When I saw this, it is like the Greek word lego (speak) which means a systematic set discourse. This is like Jesus saying 'I am giving you a set of Lego building blocks that you can frame your world according to the picture I have given you in the Word of God.' Hallelujah! What a powerful revelation!

I also have another revelation regarding my Chinese name. 李 is my surname, formed by 木(wood) and (son). Wood represents humanity or mankind. My surname means that I am a son of man. My middle name is 美. It is formed by two words 羊(lamb) and 大(great). I take it to mean that when Christ, the Passover Lamb is in me, I would be great. And that to God, is beautiful (美). My last name 珠 means pearl or precious gem. The word 朱 represents red pigment and the root word is 木(wood). I was taught that red symbolises humanity like how Adam was a red-blooded man. But with my King Jesus (王) by my side, I become a precious gem, a beautiful pearl.

I never knew that when I was born, God was already guiding my parents about my name (李美珠). To think that I actually hated my Chinese name all this while. I never knew it was inspired by God. From now on, I will be proud of my Chinese name because God gave meaning to it. In and of itself, my name speaks of humanity and about me being a son of man. I am merely human and I can do nothing without Christ. Yet when Christ came into my life, my 'destiny' changed. I became so blessed (蒙福) because of what Christ has done on the cross. With Jesus in my life, I became a beautiful gem and I would do great things for God. I am so touched by God's love for me. No words could express my gratitude for Him...

No comments:

Post a Comment