Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Gospel of Grace (Part I)

Ever since I had stepped into New Creation Church, I had been learning all about the gospel of grace and understanding why this gospel had been under fire. Today I shall attempt to highlight the key differences between this gospel of grace and the gospel that I was exposed to since I became a believer. For easy reading, I shall present these in 3 parts.
 
Gospel of Grace
Mixed Teachings of Law & Grace
·         Focus on the finished work of Christ. A divine exchange has taken place at the Cross. What Christ has suffered (heartache, pain, sicknesses, poverty, condemnation etc) we need not suffer again.
·         Because Jesus cried ‘My God, My God, why have You forsaken me?’ we can now say ’My Father, my Father, why have You so blessed me?’
·         We are now under a new covenant of grace; the old covenant of law has been replaced.  We now enjoy unmerited favour from God.
·         We have confidence that His blessings are based on Christ’s finished work, not our own performance. We are blessed to be a blessing to the world.

·         What Christ has done has bought us eternal salvation but sometimes we still need to go the way of the Cross. We need to take up our cross and partake in the fellowship of the sufferings of Christ.
·         I never heard about the new covenant of grace hence I was in fear of God’s judgment in the Old Testament. I have asked God if I was pleasing to Him. I didn't know how He saw me.
·         Sometimes I felt that the blessings of God are dependent on my actions like those Israelites under the old covenant.
·         I was taught that we are channels of God’s blessings but I felt the focus was on what we should do to be a blessing, rather than on the finished work of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment