Wednesday, June 15, 2011

God Remembers Our Prayers

I brought Joshua for a swim on Monday and he did something that amazed me. No, it was not about his swimming feats, even though I was proud that he could now swim for a good five metres underwater and he could also lift his head up to breathe. His daddy taught him how to swim and Joshua loved it.

Since Joshua was born, he had always been a joyful and responsive baby. Thank God that made him an easy baby to take care as well. He did not fuss much even when he soiled his nappies or when he was sick. He is always such a darling. He started to learn to talk when he was about 17 months old but there was a period after he was hospitalised (due to rota virus) that he became much quieter.

At that time I had already gone back to work and my mum was taking care of him. Because my mum needed to cook for us in the evenings, she turned on the TV for Joshua to occupy himself. During that period Joshua became quite withdrawn and did not want to talk much. I was worried for my baby as a first-time mother. I was concerned that he would be shy and slow in speaking. Heng kept reassuring me that Joshua is anointed by God and his development would be well taken care of by Him.

As Joshua grew older, he started talking more and learnt how to speak in complete sentences. He was well able to communicate with us. Thank God for that! However, we still find him a little shy and not very willing to mix around with other children.  We reminded him that God made him strong and courageous, like Joshua in the bible.

When he went to Sunday School, he didn't mix around with other children. He said no one came to talk to him. He was comfortable and more familiar with his friends in the childcare centre but not very keen to make new friends in Sunday School. We prayed for him and spoke words of faith saying that Joshua would be a sociable and friendly boy.  His daddy hoped that he would be more talkative like me.

Actually I have kind of forgotten about our prayers for Joshua but God remembers. To me, I was already happy to notice a change in Joshua ever since I stayed home. Not only did he become happier, he was also more secure and started to talk more. Even the people around noticed that Joshua was much happier that I stayed home to take care of him.

When we went for the Parents' Conference last Sat, Joshua's teacher told us that he was actually talkative in class, which really surprised me! I always thought my boy is a quiet and introverted child. Apparently God did a marvellous job in 'changing' him!

Then on Monday, he again surprised me by talking to an elderly man taking a toddler for a swim. Joshua seemed to like that toddler and hence followed him around. Then he took the initiative to talk to the man. I was not sure when he was talking about...maybe about his swimming stunts?

Anyway, after that, there was a little girl about his age who came to swim. Joshua again started a conversation with her and they played together for a long while. I was really amazed! I never saw Joshua taking the initiative to talk to other people...obviously he is no longer the shy boy that I knew! He had been changed by God! After he came up from the pool, I told him I was proud that he had been bold enough to start a conversation and that he is a friendly boy. Thank God for answering our prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment