Tuesday, April 28, 2015

MARRIAGES UNDER SIEGE

'Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.' Genesis 2:24

Recently I learnt that two of my cousins just got divorced. One doesn't have kids, the other has a five year-old daughter. The reason for divorce was either infidelity or cannot get along with the other half. This was quite alarming for me as my mum's side had quite a high occurrence of divorces. Out of all the married cousins, so far only one cousin is still married. Another of my cousin just got remarried recently. The rest of my cousins chose to stay single. 

I was just wondering if this was peculiar to my mum's side because so far, for my dad's side, there was no such occurrences. But again that doesn't mean that their marriages are blissful and without woes. Many a times things would look good on the surface until the shocking news of divorce came. I thank God that for some of the couples, the alarm was sounded earlier and God saved their marriages. But these were not the norm. 


My mum was saying that people in her generation were more tolerant and willing to stay together for the sake of their kids. But not this generation. They are not willing to put up with infidelity or marriage woes. When they faced with problems, they will choose to divorce. But my mum said that divorce would have a serious impact on the kids because they will feel insecure and withdraw from the world. I agreed.

It really seems like a prevalent issue nowadays and marriages are under siege. Don't even talk about parenthood in God's way as marriages are not lived according to His design. I really wonder how the next generation would turn out. Moral values are really eroding and so is stickability. Some people are marrying because they feel good and having kids because they feel good. Or this is what they see their peers do so they follow. But when the marriage doesn't serve their interests or make them feel good, they will opt out. Or when their kids don't make them feel good, they will shirk their parenthood responsibility. 

In the short time of a decade, I have heard of so many cases of divorce, whether these were my relatives or friends or neighbours. For those couples who are still staying married, some of them may be facing marriage woes and are not happy at all. Divorces are not common in our parents' generation but sad to say, in our generation, divorces are no longer rare. I think marriages are breaking down because couples do not understand God's design and plan for marriages. Or even if they do, they do not realise the commitment and hard work put into making a marriage work. 

Lastly they do not understand that Christ has to be the foundation of their marriage for only Christ can truly satisfy their needs, not each other. That's why Pastor always said Christ has to be the third person in your marriage, then it would be days of heaven on earth. More than ever before, Christ-centered marriages have become a shining beacon for the watching world. Only the church has the solution to the marriage woes and problems the world needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment