Monday, October 25, 2010

Let go of the good before receiving God's best

I was reading my notes of past sermons by Pastor Prince. I was so encouraged by this message that says 'let go of the good before receiving God's best'.  How true this is! Many people are unwilling to let go of the current situation (be it a relationship, a job, a home etc) and sometimes this hinders them from receiving God's best. 

For me, it was clear that I had to let go of this current job before God moves me on to the next season of my life, where I see my career as home-based. Ironically, though I had cried out to God many times this year to let me leave this company, when the time came that God says 'Go', I was still reluctant. 

I was thinking about what I had chosen to give up.  I could have a good career path here. My bosses already told me they are grooming me for a higher management position and my career is all mapped out should I choose to stay.  However, this career advancement or promotion really wasn't my heart's desire, so it didn't excite me. Of course I was grateful to my bosses for granting me the opportunity to grow in this company but I told them this wasn't what I wanted in life. I told them I would quit after the year end bonus.  I can imagine how many people would have jumped at such opportunities and I gave it up!

In fact, what I had given up was not just the promotional prospects and the ability to earn much more in future.  I had given up my maternity benefits should I stay on the job till I give birth. Actually that was what was keeping me here all this while. I had thought God was keeping me here till I give birth to enjoy the maternity benefits then move me out. But when my pregnancy had not yet manifested, I thought maybe God has a better plan for me. A wild thought came to my mind. Maybe I don't need to work and still could be entitled to my maternity benefits... That was when I was open to making the decision to leave before I confirm pregnant.

I was leaving all my foregone benefits to God (performance bonus included) and believing that God will grant me double the amount that I had given up. He will not shortchange me.  This is, by far, one of the toughest steps of faith I took in my life as it entailed an entire career change.  But after I made the decision, I felt so light. In fact, all the burdens left me as I cast my cares unto the Lord. I told God my part is to believe you and speak out what I believe. Your part is to perform. What an easy role for me!

2 comments:

  1. It is not my style to blog. But I am an avid follower of my wife’s blog.
    After reading her blog, I am inspired to pen down my tots here.

    This morning I have a revelation from the Lord. My heart is at Shalom peace knowing that my wife is taking charge of the home. I have the mega peace that scripture talks about when Jesus rebuke the mega storm and there was peace.

    My heart comes to a point of peace knowing that my wife is caring for the children at home, full time mother. This thought in the past will throw doubts into me of financing issue especially when we were talking about getting a new property. But when we see how God brings about not one but for us to own 2 properties, that is mind blowing. I believed we have more properties to come.

    I see myself a successful man at home and at work. Not just plain successful, but very successful. I thank God for enlarging my vision and giving me the freedom to dream real Big.

    I think I can write very well too. Hope you like my pen-down thoughts.

    Agape

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dear, I am already seeing you as what God sees you: a very prosperous, successful and fruitful man. I am the fruitful vine and our children will be like olive shoots. Together we are a household of faith!

    ReplyDelete