Monday, May 25, 2015

DAILY CLEANSING BY THE WORD

'I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live...' Deuteronomy 30:19

Yesterday Pastor Prince preached a very powerful sermon. He was talking about how this word will cause many to receive healing and to stay in health. He spoke about Hebrews 10:2-4, how Jesus' blood has cleansed us from sin once and for all. But yet in John 13:1-11, there is still a daily cleansing of the word like water. Jesus got up after supper and washed the disciples' feet. It was a picture of Him serving us even after His resurrection. 

He was also sharing about the secrets to a healthy and long life. It had something to do with what we expose ourselves to. Everyday we come across certain news, read certain articles, listen to friends or colleagues talking that would cause us to touch 'death'. I can testify that such things are very real. Things in the spirit realm are more real than the natural realm. Do not be deceived because many people are. 

Pastor was saying that God is so good. God will find ways for His word to cross our paths even if we are not actively seeking Him everyday. For example, looking at the birds of the air pecking on the ground tells us that even the birds don't worry, as God provides for them, so why should we? But if we open the bible, listen to anointed sermons and read devotionals, we are opening ourselves to receiving more revelation from the Lord. And it is not just a one time seeking, it should be our way of life. Everyday we need the cleansing of the word because our feet get dusty. We get defiled from touching 'death'.

Recently when I was going through the cases of members who needed healing prayers, I came across so many conditions that I didn't even know existed! I didn't realise the effects on me but after that I felt lousy. Slowly that lousy feeling developed into an insecurity and fear in me subconsciously. I experienced symptoms in my body, sharp back pain which I never had before. Only then I realised that I had touched 'death' when reading all those sicknesses. I allowed this to affect me and I forgot what God's word about healing was. My eyes were focused on the conditions of members instead of the Lord who heals.

How I got out of the defilement of touching 'death' was this. Like Pastor said in Numbers 19:1-3, there has to be a sprinkling of the red heifer's ashes dipped in water to cleanse those who had literally touched death in the camp. The ashes refer to Jesus' finished work on the cross. Every time you listen to a sermon that preached on the finished work of Christ, you will be cleansed and reminded that you are the righteousness of God in Christ. In the same way, my remedy was to get back to His word. To let God wash my dusty feet with the water of the Holy Spirit. Only then was I able to be cleansed of the defilement and be restored back to peace and joy. 

I have been living on His word mainly for the past few years when I stayed home. I stopped reading the newspapers and listening to news. I also stopped reading certain secular books like literature and psychology. Even when gleaning Christian books, I am very careful about its contents, whether the author leans towards law or grace. Pastor says when you read materials about His righteousness, you will experience a cleansing effect which will always leave you feeling refreshed. But even so, sometimes I would come across certain things that cause me to touch 'death'. We live in a fallen world.

Hence I find it important to expose myself to an environment that is constantly filled with His goodness and righteousness. It is necessary for me to guard my eye and ear gates in order not to be easily defiled. As I spend time with Him, God also shows me quickly when I have touched 'death' so that I can be quickly cleansed. Pastor mentioned that the result of this daily cleansing of the Word that emphasised on the finished work causes one's flesh to be renewed. That is the reason why some Christians look much younger than their peers. Their youth is renewed by the eagles. They are generally more healthy, free from diseases and infirmities. They don't get sick easily or even if they do, they recover very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment