Friday, October 26, 2012

The Name of God


I just listened to Pastor Prince's sermon 'How You See Jesus Will Affect How You Receive from Him'. It was not as if I have not heard it before but yet today when I heard it, something jumped out at me. Pastor Prince said that God or Elohim is not His name, just like Pastor is not his name. Pastor is his title or position, Joseph is his name. Even El Shaddai or God Almighty is not His name. God's name is Yahweh and in Hebrew it means 'who is, who was and who is to come'. Yahweh is Jehovah or Yeshua in Greek. When we see the LORD in the bible, it means Yahweh and Yahweh is about a covenant God, a God who has a relationship with us.

Indeed, many people can mention God but which God are they referring to? God the Father is personified by His Son and Yeshua is actually Jesus (in Greek). How many people can say they have a relationship with Yahweh? How many can say they know His heart? To me it is important to know His heart because if you can move His heart, you can move His hand. God Almighty doesn't just want to be known as the Creator, the Maker or Elohim. He wants to be known as a covenant God. He yearns to have a relationship with His people. 

Pastor said that how people address God will reflect how they view Him. It is only when one realizes the covenant we have with Him, that we start calling Him the Lord. I didn't even realize that the way I write about Him has changed. Nowadays I seldom call Him God but more often the Lord or Abba Father at times. In fact, out of all the names, I love Yeshua or Jesus the most. Because Jesus is so dear to me. He willingly gave up His life to die for me. Jehovah or Jesus also means 'The Lord Saves'. Indeed Jesus is my Savior and my Lord. 

Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8). He lives outside the time zone and can go back to my past to change things so that my present would not be hindered by my past. He has indeed erased the fear, the painful memories and heartaches of my trials and totally replaced it with memories of Him delivering me from that bondage. He did that so that my future will reflect the glory of God. He has also gone into my future and prepared the way for me, came back to the present and told me it is very good. Oh how I love my Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment