Friday, September 4, 2015

UNFORGIVENESS

I have recently come across a few messages about forgiving others. Pastor Prince said in his sermon last Sunday that unforgiveness is like preparing poison for others then drinking it yourself. There’s no need to remain discouraged or to let bitterness take root and poison you—a bright and glorious future full of God’s blessings awaits you. When others have done you wrong, don't seek to take revenge or justify yourself. Just remain in peace and trust that the Lord will restore to you a hundred and twenty fold for the troubles the devil brought unto you.

Pastor Joel's devotional also mentioned this. Are the garments of yesterday holding you back and weighing you down? Maybe it’s time to exchange that heaviness for His garment of praise. Maybe it’s time to release those heavy burdens. It’s time to forgive those who have hurt you and begin to praise your way into a new season. As children of the Most High God, we should be extending forgiveness in the same way that Christ extends forgiveness toward us. 

In other words, we will learn to forgive unconditionally when we are conscious of how forgiven we are by God. But many times, people say they won’t forgive until the other person says they are sorry. Or, they won’t forgive because they think somehow they are getting back at that person. But the only person who is hurt by your unforgiveness is you! When you hold unforgiveness, it blocks God’s forgiveness and keeps you locked up in the hurt and pain.

Even Journals of the Heart talked about this. God has given us many things in the past that have gone dormant among the trials, expectations, and struggles of life. Some became dormant because of unwillingness to let go of doubts and unbelief based on the actions of men. Some still have a hold on us and prevent growth because we became critical in response to their actions. Let it go. Let His light of love and graces penetrate the deepest, darkest places. Forgive, and receive His light. Let His love wash over you and heal your wounded heart. Yes, a time of restoration is here.

Lord, let Your Word bury deep within my heart and show me if there be any unclean way in me, any critical spirit or unforgiveness and I will repent. I will lay aside all critical attitudes and embrace humility with my whole heart. I forgive and I am forgiven. This is the purest form of love. I even forgive myself of all the times when I was bitter at having tried and failed again and again. I know the Lord doesn't even hold this against me, so why should I be so hard on myself? All He required of me was to hang on to His word in the midst of adverse or disappointing circumstances. Don't give up on His promise. Don't doubt Him now. Just remain faithful to what He has told me to do which was to keep on keeping on, move forward, press past the labour pains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment