Thursday, November 11, 2010

Blessings from my dad

Some time ago I had this desire of being blessed by my dad. In the bible, there was a story (Genesis 27:27-29) about how Isaac wanted to bless his eldest son, Esau before he pass on. Rebekah the mother heard about it and asked the younger son Jacob to impose as Esau to obtain the father's blessings instead. So when Esau came back from his hunt, he asked his father to bless him but it was too late. Isaac said he has blessed Jacob and the blessing is irreversible. The rest is history - indeed Jacob (Israel) is blessed and cannot be cursed.

I always thought that such blessings from fathers could only be obtained before they passed on. But it is not true. The Jewish fathers still lay hands on their children everyday, to bless them. Recently I heard a sister from my care group share about she was estranged from her dad and finally reconciled with him after he became a believer. Now they could talk to each other like friends in the coffeeshop. Then one day she asked her dad to lay hands on her and bless her because she said the blessing of a father is very powerful. Her dad laughed but eventually he did bless her.

Yesterday I was talking about this to my parents and I boldly asked my dad to lay hands on my head and bless me. Thank God he agreed and he even told me to write down the prayer of blessing for me. I was thinking wow, I could have a blank cheque to request for my own blessings! I wrote down what I wanted God to bless me with. Most importantly, I wanted my dad to bless me with fruitfulness and for me to have another baby soon. I knew that when my baby manifest, my dad would also have a part in this blessing because he prayed for me.

When my dad laid hands on me, I could feel the strong anointing. When he spoke, it was like one of spiritual authority, very much like how my previous Pastor prayed for me. It was amazing! After he blessed me, I was moved to tears and I hugged him. It is really wonderful to have my father's blessings on my life spoken verbally over me. I literally felt like a princess, feeling so loved!

What was significant about this act of my dad blessing me was that he used to be so against Christianity and persecuted me for going church 15 years ago. How he was saved was another miracle story altogether. I can see how my dad was totally transformed by the love of Christ, so much so that he could take the position of the head of household to bless his children. All glory to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment