Wednesday, August 26, 2015

HOW TO DISCERN IF YOUR TIME HAS COME

Today I read a devotional about how God communicates with us. And I was just thinking about how God usually speaks to me. I find that He mostly speaks to me through His word. Even though I may have read that verse umpteen times, there will always be a new revelation and understanding when God brings that verse to my attention. Secondly the Lord speaks to me through the Holy Spirit or an inner witness. It could be a still small voice or a certain thought that flashed across my mind which wasn't in my train of thoughts. 

I noticed that usually before the manifestation of a promise, these works of God would be made visible. It often starts with a visitation from God. Then, in no particular order: financial provision, open doors, restoration, closing of a chapter, new things happening, victory over bondage or resistance. In the past I would always misinterpret the timing of a promise because I only had one part of the equation, which was my sensing or inner witness.

Many a times I would sense that this promise was very close, and my time has come but I would be disappointed when it didn't happen. One day I realised that my sensing was only one part of the equation. The other parts are God's recurrent messages to me (His word) and the events that followed. Well, even if His recurrent messages to me seemed to indicate that my time has come, I realised it could be a prophetic word that God was trying to tell me. This meant that God was referring to a time in the future but I took it as now.

For example, I wrote in Apr 2013 about a time in the future which I wasn't even aware of then. It was a prophetic word for my future and now as I read it, I found that it was referring to this year: Resurrection power, Year of Jubilee, Restoration of all things, Discerning the Season change, Power of resting in the Lord, Power of rejoicing and celebration, Keeping the spirit of faith high, No more hopes deferred, Season of fulfilment has come, Breakthrough and freedom/liberty, Victory manifested, Steps are guided by the Lord, Be on the expectant lookout, Prepare and get ready, A new thing He is doing, Praise and worship, Give thanks in advance, Reward is here, Take possession of our inheritance etc.

It was also interesting to note that I wrote in Apr 2013 about the day of restoration for all the senseless pain I went through. I even wondered what kind of restoration would God bring me out of the heartaches I suffered in waiting for a promise. Two years later, I saw His restoration in this area. It was a powerful restoration because this issue had been an area of struggle for decades. Finally I saw the broken pieces come together in this year of His restoration, just as Pastor had prophesied.

The last but most important part of the equation to discern if your time has come is the events that happened after God spoke. Whether these events were in line with His messages. These are like the signs of the fig tree. If they occurred rather quickly after His word was given, only then it could be safe to conclude that God is really talking about the now time, not somewhere in the future. Only by carefully studying these three parts of the equation can one be sure that the time has really come.

No comments:

Post a Comment