Thursday, August 27, 2015

PROUD TO BE A SINGAPOREAN

Our nation just celebrated our Golden Jubilee earlier this month. There was a memorable time during the National Day celebrations when videos on the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew was shown. It was an emotional moment as many cried at this sad memory of his passing. The empty chair reserved for him at the Padang made it even sadder to look at. This was the first time in 50 years that Singapore celebrated her birthday without Mr Lee Kuan Yew. We had thought that he could at least join us for our Golden Jubilee celebrations before passing on.

And last Sunday there was a National Day Rally by our Prime Minister, Mr Lee Hsien Loong. It was usually an exciting time because he would be announcing many 'goodies' for Singaporeans. There would be key policy changes like housing, healthcare, family, jobs, education etc. Because this is our Golden Jubilee year, the government has prepared many goodies for us.

Some people might say it was because of the coming elections that the governing party was giving away such goodies, so that the people would vote for People's Action Party. Yes, our Election Day is announced to be on 11 Sep. And this year the governing party willl be running for elections without the late Mr Lee. It was crux time, match point. But I have confidence in this party even without Mr Lee because he has groomed and prepared the next generation leaders well.

I pray that God will raise godly leaders to govern Singapore and bring us to our next level. As I reflect on 50 years of nation building, I am truly grateful to our pioneers and our leaders for making Singaore a great nation. If I had been born elsewhere, I really don't know how my life will be as a girl. I might be denied of an opportunity in education or a fair chance in my career. Many women are still subjugated in certain countries or worse, forced into prositution. My heart goes out to these women and I pray for God to reach out to them too.

I thank God for the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew and the many political leaders who has sacrificed for our nation. I believe that path had not been easy for them. I thank God that we are standing on the shoulders of giants so that we can continue the legacy of our forefathers, bringing Singapore to greater heights. So that this little red dot can be a blessing, to reflect God's glory and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment