Friday, November 27, 2015

SYNCHONIZED CHILDBEARING PATTERNS OF LIONESS

I read in 'Lioness Arising' by Lisa Bevere some time ago about how lioness tended to give birth to their cubs around the same time. This was strategic because as a pack, the cubs would have a greater chance of survival than if there were fewer of them. Somehow they would form a support system for themselves in future. This is an excerpt of what she wrote.

Lioness are fiercely protective of all their pride's young. A lioness will not endanger another lioness' cub any more than her own. Lioness don't merely hunt together, they mother together. Likewise, we should be concerned about other believers' children, other than our own. In lioness, this drive to protect is so strong that they have the cubs' protection even before conception. They have the abilities to synchronise their reproductive cycle. This allows them to conceive and give birth together.

Lioness realise that cubs of the similar age have a greater chance of survival due to equal access to food and training. There is great advantage in growing up alongside brothers and sisters of similar experience and size. There are similar rhythms in the patterns of sparring, feeding, resting and playing that ultimately translate to complementary skill levels, which helps the survival of not only the cubs but also the future pride. Lioness train their young by modelling what is correct. If skills sets are not transferred, the survival of cubs is endangered and the legacy compromised.


After I read this, my perspective changed. For a long while I have been focusing on nurturing my own child. There's nothing wrong with that but my approach must change. With a promotion in spiritual maturity, my influence has gone up another level and so must my perspective. Like the lioness, the Lord is changing my mind to think strategic about bringing up the next generation. Lioness don't merely hunt together, they mother together. Likewise, I should be concerned about other believers' children, other than my own.

Maybe God was waiting for me to catch His enlarged vision about motherhood before He releases me into my new season of ministering to mothers. Now I understand why He has led me to the mothers' group. Why only now. In the past I was too conscious of self and too competitive. I didn't like to connect with other mothers because I have a tendency to compare my child with theirs and I would feel lousy if my son lost out. Or I would compare how many kids they have and focus on my lack. That's how the enemy kept me away from interacting with mothers all these years.

Now I see things differently. We are not here to compete with one another. We are here to help one another 'mother' better. The wellbeing of their kids will eventually affect my own children. It's a win win situation as we learn to do this as a pride, instead of struggling individually. It's no longer about self but the preservation and legacy of the godly heritage. Not just my own heritage but other godly heritage as well. When I help other mothers, other kids, I am helping myself and my own children in turn. God will not be a debtor to one who does good to His sheep. He will cause other people to do good to my children, which is the best thing a mother can hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment