Wednesday, October 7, 2015

COMPLETION OF A WORK

Yesterday I was impressed upon the completion of a work. This came after I read about what the Hebrew month of Cheshvan means. Cheshvan comes after Tishri, which is the month Rosh Hashanah falls on. Cheshvan will start about middle of October. It comes after the Jews' summer vacation, after the busyness and excitement of their High Holidays. It’s a time to settle down and get things done. At least for a moment you can feast your eyes on the project you have completed for work. In that moment, there is nothing left to accomplish. The work is done.

At the time of King Solomon, the Jewish people labored for seven years to build the Holy Temple in Jerusalem. Their work was finally completed in the month of Cheshvan. A pilgrim would spend the year raising his flocks and tending his orchards before choosing the choicest of his accomplishments to bring to the Temple, yet the goal of all of the work and preparation was the moment of being that happened during the sacrifice. A soul that had done all it must to prepare to come close to its Creator could, for a moment, just bask in the light and the depth of that connection.

I was reminded of what I read in Aug 2011. Max Lucado, a famous Christian author, was describing how he felt nearing the end of writing a book. Towards the end, with the finish line in sight, there comes a numbing of the senses and you want to finish strong. You reach deep for the intensity you had months earlier but the supply is scarce. You need a kick, a surge, an inspiration, like a second wind. Max said he found the inspiration to finish well in this. Upon the completion of a project, he enjoys a rite of celebration. It involves two phases. The first is a quiet moment with God. The purpose is to relish. To delight in the sweet satisfaction of a completed task.

The runner feels the tape against his chest. How sweet is the wine at the end of the journey! So for a few moments, God and he savour it together. Next he would feast or enjoy a good meal at a restaurant. Throughout the meal he allowed himself only one thought. I am finished. Planning of future projects was not allowed. He indulged in a make believe world and pretended that his life's work was complete.

Through the process of time, I almost forgot what it is like to finish a work, complete a task. Especially a long-drawn one like this with many false closings. But now, I believe I have really come to the end. Since end Sep, I have come across messages that talked about pressing through, persevering, not giving up my confidence for it will be richly rewarded. And so I believe I am nearing the finish line. Finally it is in view. And today when I watch John Gray's sermon, he also talked about God who started a good work in us will bring it to completion.

As I put all these together, it would seem like God is saying October is the month of manifestation, the celebration and thanksgiving of the harvest, a time of completion, a time of basking in that moment of completion after years of waiting or labouring and enjoying the fruits of our labour. This is certainly in line with the messages I have been receiving for the past month about manifestation, coming to pass, fulfilment of dreams etc. As well as messages about victory, harvest and rewards. Enjoying the fruits of my labour, my reward for putting my trust in God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment