Thursday, October 8, 2015

GIFTED ENRICHMENT PROGRAMME (GEP)

Singapore has this programme called the Gifted Enrichment Programme or GEP. This is a highly selective academic programme. It is designed to identify the 1% of students from each academic year with outstanding intelligence. The tests, administered at primary three, are based on verbal, mathematical and spatial abilities (as determined by two rounds of tests). Those students will then be transferred from normal classes to the GEP classes, if those students are in a school without those classes, they will be transferred to another school with those classes. Those classes will bring the students to higher levels (such as higher mother tongue, complex mathematics, intensive science and a wider expand of English knowledge/facts).

Joshua had taken his screening test in end Aug. I still remembered he was so tired that he slept in the afternoon. He said those questions were super tough and he had to use up a lot of his brain juice. I told him GEP tests were generally tougher than school tests. I sat for one while I was in primary six. I nearly puked at those questions. Joshua said he didn't have time to finish the math paper so he thought he would fail. 

I didn't pray about him getting selected because I wasn't thinking about putting him in a GEP as I wasn't even sure if he could make it through the first round. But I did find out about that Programme through Internet. That was when I took a look at the sample questions and I nearly flipped. Boy are they tough! If I couldn't answer those questions, I didn't expect Joshua to be able to answer. Hence I never prepared him for such GEP tests. To me, giftedness is not something a child can prepare for. He either has it or not. If he has it, then it should already be lying dormant, waiting to manifest. You cannot bring forth giftedness out of nowhere. It is a gift from God.

Well, the night before, it occurred to me that it was already early Oct and there was still no news of the GEP results. I was thinking maybe if we didn't receive the notification now then maybe he wasn't selected for round 2. This was okay with me because I still love him no matter what. But deep down I was hoping if only God could grant me this desire, I would be so happy and so grateful to Him. Because it would mean that he is among the top 10% of his cohort. Not just his school but his entire cohort. 

Yesterday Joshua came home from school looking so happy. He was holding a letter in his hands. He asked me to guess what it was. I told him he got selected for the GEP round 2. He was like thinking: 'What a coincidence! How could my mum have possibly known?' I was in cloud nine when I read his letter and realised that it was a dream come true! God answered my desire exceedingly and abundantly. It was beyond my wildest dream because I didn't think it would happen! Besides we didn't even prepare him for those tests, unlike some parents who started enrolling their kids in GEP preparatory classes way before. 

This is really God's grace. Joshua was surprised he got selected too! He thought he failed! He said only seven in his class got selected. Joshua was so happy but he didn't want to go for round 2. He didn't want to be put under that stress again. But later I showed him what round 2 was, as two of the papers would be testing on general ability which was an area he loved. He seemed to have a great interest in IQ tests. While others would cringe, he just got more excited. 

Of course Heng and I hoped he could go for it. Well after all, how many kids were given that opportunity? Whether he gets into GEP or not is secondary, at least he tried. I didn't care much about being selected for GEP because that would be even more stringent, only top 1% of the entire cohort. To me, being the top 10% is good enough. Besides we also didn't want to put him through too much stress. But his daddy just wanted him to rise up to the challenge. As for me I was still seeking the Lord for direction. I also told Joshua to pray about it and ask God to show him. I assured him that I would not force him if he didn't want to. 

Thank God that today Joshua told me he was fine with giving it a try. It has to be God who changed his mind because he didn't seem to bulge yesterday. Anyway we just take one step at a time and leave the outcome to God. After all God has already prepared the path for Joshua. Thank You Jesus.




5 comments: